May 10, 2010

Engagment


The week before Presley and I went to Washington for spring break this year we had a conversation that brought getting married to the forefront of my mind. I knew we wanted to do it but we wanted to try and get done with school first... But this is when I personally realized that I just did not want to wait that long.

So that week while we were in my home town I asked my mom and dad their thoughts on the matter and talked more to Presley about living with me for the rest of her life and the here after. Parents like Presley and were cool about it, Presley was enthralled and I knew that was the case. What I was really worried about was coming back to Utah and talking to Darren and Tammy. (Really just scared about Tammy.)

We got back to Salt Lake and I waited for Darren to come home so I could ask him for his daughters hand in marriage. I felt like I was waiting for an eternity for him to come home and then once he was home I just wanted him to go back to work, I was nervous about the can of worms I was potentially going to open that night. Luckily we were barbecuing hamburgers that night so I was easy to get away from everyone else with Darren out at the barbecue.
It went something like this:

Me - "So, Presley and I have been talking... and we want to get married this August"

Darren - "Wow, Really?"

Then he ask me a few questions, like had we talked about being able to pay the bills, continue through school and a few others things. I think I had good answers for everything, Presley and I had talked about most everything but I really do not remember because it all seemed like a whirlwind but I did tell him that we both were going to work a couple more hours a week and we both will finish school.He went on to tell me he would love to have me as a son in law and how I was loved and we went back into the house. Once I got back into the house I was ecstatic on the inside and then it hit me... "I still need to tell Tammy..." and then I just got super nervous again.
I found a second time to go out to the barbecue with Darren again and with terror on my face asked him "How should we tell Tammy? and with a huge smile on his face he said "That's up to you." Ah, I wanted to scream!

The burgers were finished and we sat down to eat and I begun to find a good time to throw into the conversation that Presley and I wanted to get married in four months. Well, we started talking about Presley's work schedule and I inserted "Presley is planning on working more hours this summer." In hopes for more words to come out of my mouth or for someone to ask why but after I got that out I just awkwardly smiled and looked at everyone at the table till I came to Darren who had a gigantic goofy grin on his face. I don't remember exactly but someone said something and eventually Tammy was let in on our little secret.

She took it much better than I thought it was going to play out and we told them that Presley was going to be baptized a member of the church as well. Then their were some mother-daughter hugs and tears and a few phone calls to grandmothers.

Then within a few days we were in the hunt for a ring, we were very lucky to have Presley's grandma Green to give us a diamond, a willing mother to come with us and coach us through ring shopping and a great jeweler that has taken care of the Romney family jewels for ages. Presley told the jeweler just what she wanted and that is what she got.

It was about a six day wait for the ring to be finished and I think I heard about a million times a day from Presley "I just want that ring on my finger." It was understandable and I wanted that ring on her finger just as bad. I was planning on the jeweler to call and tell me the ring was finished on Thursday afternoon and I would go get it on that Friday. Instead I got the phone call that the ring was done on Wednesday afternoon and I had to quickly figure out how to purpose to Presley a day early.

After a restless nights sleep; I drove up and got it. I got back to Happy Valley and asked Presley if she wanted to go to Pizza Factory where we went on our first date and handed her a dozen roses. She had previously told me that I better not do anything to her on April fools regarding are engagement. So naturally when I handed her the roses and she asked me what they were for I said "Well, It is April fools day." to which she replied with a dirty look and I laughed inside because I knew what she did not know... That I had her ring in my pocket.

We went to dinner in the early afternoon, it must of been four or so. We got in and sat a few booths away from where we sat on our first date. I tried to tell her that the jeweler called and we would not have the ring until Monday or Tuesday but I am a real bad liar. She saw the smile on my face from a mile away and began pressing me to show her the ring. I tried to play it off like I really did not have it. Then I told her that it was April fools day and I just had an empty box that Tammy had helped me get from the jewelers. Hell bent to get the ring on her finger or to see what if anything was in the box she continued to press me.

I folded and looked around the room to make sure no one could see me get on my knee then got on my knee and pulled out the ring. I asked her to marry me and of course she said "YES!".

4 comments: