Jan 23, 2011

Recent Reads


I finished reading I Am Number Four last week. I guess it is the first book of a planned six book series. I liked it and all but I don't know if I liked it enough to read six more books about it haha. The movie does come out next month so maybe they will just keep making the movies and I can watch those to see what happens.

I also had to read The Giver for my Children Literature class, so that's what I have spent my Sunday doing, lounging and reading. Not a bad way to spend your day I might add :]] Anyway, I thought it was a very strange book, especially it being intended for kids in the 5th and 6th grades. Don't get me wrong I really liked it, there were a lot of lessons to be learned from it, and it was very well written. But, I just don't know how kids would feel about it, I can't picture myself reading it in elementary school. Any teachers out there who have tried this with their kids? Or anybody who remembers reading this when you were in elementary school?

And lastly, I am out of books to read now and am in need of some good suggestions, so please leave a comment of some good books, even if you have already told me before so that I can write them down :]]

xoxo, Pres

5 comments:

  1. I read The Giver last year and really liked it. If you are interested there are two companion books to it (not really seqeuls but connected) called Gathering Blue and The Messenger. They aren't as good as The giver but still interesting. Another good Juvinenile Fiction is The Invention of Hugo Cabret. I loved it and it would be great for elementary kids. Some other pics: The Goose Girl series by Shannon Hale, The Uglies series and if you like Historical fiction I loved The Work and the Glory and The Hearts of the Children series.
    Sorry for the long comment, I read alot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry again, if you want to read The Hearts of the Children, read The Children of Promise first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! Thanks Liz i love your comments :]] I will be sure to check these out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like Goose Girl.

    I had to read The Giver in elementary school and didn't really understand it, especially the ending. I haven't read it since...I should probably read it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deidra, read it with your students! Lets have an experiment, because I really want to know if they would understand/like it.

    ReplyDelete